Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Store-cupboard dinners challenge: Day 2 & 3

Day 2 of the challenge we spent happily lazing in the park - a sort of last chance saloon to hang out with friends before the kids start going back to their separate schools for the autumn term.  I managed to create a picnic entirely from garden and store cupboard supplies!  We had jacket spuds and hommous, homemade bread rolls, buckwheat, quinoa, courgette, tomato and herb tabbouleh, raw beetroot and tomato salad plus i shortbread for treats.

For dinner we had spaghetti bolognese and the only ingredient I had to buy was spaghetti - the organic wholewheat stuff was on offer so a proper bonus.  The sauce was made from homegrown tomatoes, onions and courgettes, garlic, herbs and soya protein mince and we had apple and blackberry pie left over from the night before for afters.

Day 3  has been just as successful.  There was left over spag bol and tabbouleh that we devoured at lunchtime and for dinner I made samosas from scratch ... potatoes, peas, herbs and spices, flour and water.  I also made chickpea and tomato ketchup curry - a favourite River Cottage store cupboard recipe.  We made more Tansy Shortbread for pudding and I even found some glimmer sugar in the back of the cupboard which we decorated them with.  I actually feel like we've eaten better this week than normal because I've been creative rather than approaching dinner time with dread and lethargy.  Food made with love and inspiration always tastes ten times better I think.

love and light X

No comments:

Post a Comment